Heart of Texas Region MHMR Center Behavior Support Specialist 1891 in Waco, Texas
The Behavior Support Specialist works with consumers, families, and community providers in an effort to meet therapeutic goals of consumers in the Challenging Behavior Program. Coordinates & provides services for individuals with intellectual & developmental disabilities, and for consumers with dual with dual diagnosis. This person will develop and monitor Person-Directed Plans, train others on Behavior Support and provide resources and referrals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Essential Functions
- Excellent written communication and computer keyboarding for inputting clinical documentation
- Duties include but are not limited to monitoring and assessing consumer behavior, preparing training plans, and teaching consumer social, communication, and coping skills.
- Conduct parent training in ABA techniques
- Facilitates and provides training in ABA techniques, including shaping, prompting, fading, chaining, errorless learning;
- Excellent verbal and telephone communication with consumers, staff, and community providers
- Time management required to meet service goals
- Frequent travel to provide services for clients, including regional travel about 50% of time and local travel 50% of time.
- Stooping, bending, sitting, standing, and keyboarding for prolonged periods, lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to be CPR and SAMA certified
- Valid driver's license, liability insurance, and reliable transportation required
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED* required; RBT Certification *preferred
- 1 year of experience in IDD *preferred, *with preference given to those who have worked with individuals who have challenging behaviors and provide ABA services
- A bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, or related field preferred preferred
- 1 year of case management experience preferred
Hours: M-F 10A-7PM with weekends as needed
Salary: $24,000-$31,840 annually/$11.5384-$15.3077 hourly (depending upon educational level and RBT certification or both)
Department: Challenging Behaviors